Boostrapping India : EAS.04 - EAS over Bandwidth
Proposed administrative procedure
EAS.04   -   Equal   Allowance   System   over   Bandwidth
Purpose : To reduce nexusproness in bandwidth allocation AND to ensure that citizens can obtain equitable royalty from bandwidth's licence fee.
Pre-requiste readings :
EAS.01 -- Equal Allowance System over Underground Water
- Overview of EAS.04
- Advantages of EAS.04
- Deciding zones for bandiwdth.
- Draft of the act to create procedure EAS.04
The purpose is to reduce poverty, without taxing the rich. How? By ensuring that every citizen gets equitable share in the "rent" or "deemed rent" of natural resource. How? I have proposed several laws to enable that. EAS.04 is one of these proposed laws.
Around 1995, I formulated a Dogma, that EVERY citizen has equitable right over the ALL the state-owned natural resources. And that EVERY citizen should get equitable amount of the royalties that the State/Central Governments collect from the natural resources owned by the State/Nation. I named this Dogma as ESONR-Dogma --- Equality over State Owned Natural Resources.
Back then, I believed that ESONR-Dogma was my ORIGINAL discovery. But later, around year 2000, I came to know that one of the Three Greatest Thinkers world has ever produced, Thomasbhai Painejee had stated the SAME Dogma in his legendary essay Agraian Justice in a different way. Nevertheless, I can rightly claim that I had rediscovered this Dogma independently on my own.
But why did Painejee's landmark work did not come to my notice till 2000? Mainly becuase intellectuals of India, and all over the world, have filled the textbooks of economics and political science with 100s of worthless ideas, and have deleted Painejee's work from texts. Why? Almost ALL intellectuals these days believe that royalty from natural resources MUST NOT go directly into commons' hands, but should be devored by neta, babus, intellectuals and elitemen of the country. As a result, most professors=intellectuals are hostile to even mentioing the name of Painejee's landmark essay to their students. So few students, including myself, ever got a hint to read that essay, or even know about its existence.
It was only when I published my work on EAS on internet, an unknown friend told me about Painejee's essay which rhymed with ESONR-Dogma.
Now I have a firm request to the reader --- you must be clear with yourself :
Almost ALL inetellectuals I met so far in my life, whether they were rightists or leftists or centrists or Gandhians, were exteremely hostile to the idea of giving even a penny of royalty-money to the commons. Almost all believed that royalty money should be spent on educational institutes (i.e. fiefdoms of intellectuals) or some such GoI-venture.
- Do you support ESONR-Dogma that EVERY citizen should get equitable control/royalty over state owned natural resources? OR
- Are you hostile to the above idea, and believe that ONLY neta/babu and intellectuals should have control over state owned natural resources and only they should decide how royalty-money should be spent?
However, most of the rustics I met by and large approved the idea, except that they were spkepitical if one can make administrative procedures to distribute royalty equitably.
If you believe that royalty money MUST not be doled out to the commons, I can assure you that will find my EAS.01 proposal an extremely repulsive idea and every subsequent of 10-15 EAS proposals will appear to be more repulsive than EAS.01.
But if you believe in ESONR-Dogma, EASes are perhaps your dream coming true. Not only EASes ensure equitable distribution of royalty over natural resources, it provides FAST way to reduce poverty in India.
There are some 15 EASes, each deal with a specific natural resource. Understanding ALL of them is easy --- you understand EAS.01 and you will understand all. I request the reader to thoroughly read and understand EAS.01.
Now EAS.01 deals with distributing underground water. Likewise, each EAS deals with a specific natural resource.
EAS.04 deals with bandwidth used by radio, cell-phones etc.
Overview of EAS.04
Thats all. These TRIVIAL administrative procedures are sufficient to ensure that common citizens will get royalty from bandwidth.
- The Communication Minister, using a team techinical experts, will decide the bandwidth slots and corresponding zones. eg for bandwidth slot of A Mhz to B Mhz, the Minister may divide the country into say 100 zones of roughly 100-200 sq km. And for bandwidth from B MHz to CMHz, the Minister may divide the country into 300 zones of roughly 50-100 sq kms.
- The Communication Minister will appoint one Rregistrar and one Bandwidth Officer for every zone. One person may serve as Registrar or Bandwidth Officer for several zones.
- The Bandwidth Officer can split bandwidth slot allocated in that zone into several sub-slots. eg Say District of Ahmedabad is one zone with bandwidth slot of 10MHz to 100MHz. Then bandwidth officer may split this bandwidth into say 5 or 10 slots of 20MHz or 10Mhz each, as he may feel approrpiate.
- The Registrar will issue a serial number for anyone who wishes to use bandwidth in that area.
- RLPP for allocating bandwidth allowances : Each citizen will have 1 Bandwidth Allowance. A citizen can specify the bandwidth-user to whom he wants to allocate his Allowance. He may change bandwidth user any day. The procedure is similar to way a citizen allocates his Allowance of Undergrond Water to bore-owner in procedure EAS.01. For details, please click here.
- [IMPORTANT]   Actual allocation of a bandwidth-slot to bandwidth-using companies : The bandwidth officer will hold an auction for the bandwidth-slots between 1st to 10th of each month. The bandwidth-users will bid for the slots NOT in terms of money, but in terms of bandwidth Allowances they have obtained. If a bandwidth user is holding an existing slot, the competitor will have to bid at least 50% more Allowances than existing slot holder bids.
- RLPP over Bandwidth Officer : The citizens residing in a zone can replace the Bandwidth Officer using RLPP. The procedure is similar to RLPP over Water Guard in EAS.01. Please see "Replacing Officer By RLPP" for details.
Advantages of EAS.04
- The nexusproneness in allocation of bandwidth reduces. To obatin a bandwidth-slot, a bandwidth user will have to obtain or purchase Allowances from lakhs of citizens in that area. The process is much much less nexusprone than a handful of neta, babu or regulators taling decisions.
- EAS.04 reduces poverty. How? The citizens will get cash for their bandwidth allowances. This cash will reduce their poverty.
Deciding zones for bandwidth slots
Deciding zones for bandwidth a technical matter --- some bandwidth-slots are useful only over a large area, while some bandwidth-slots are useful only over a small areas. So the Zoning Officers, appointed by PM or Minister of Tele-Communication, can decide which zones can have which bandwidth-slots.
For example, the Zoning Officers may decide that bandwidth slot of 10MHz to 100MHz is suited for zones of size say 100sq km. So they may divide the country into blocks of size 100 sqkm for the bandwidth-slot of 10MHz-100MHz. While they may decide that effective use of bandwidth-slot of 100MHz to 200MHz would require a zone of say size 500 sqkm. In such case, they would divide the country into zones of such size for bandwidth-slot of 100MHz to 200Mhz.
In general, the bigger zones will contain small zones. eg say zone for slot 100MHz to 1000MHz are of size 500 sqkm, and zones for slot 10MHz to 100MHz are 50 sqkm. Then a zone for 100MHz to 1000MHz may get divided into 10 zones of 10MHz to 100MHz.
And from time to time, say every 3-5 years, zones boundary may need to change depending of change in populations, change in techonology and so forth. But these issues are NOT related with EAS.04. The EAS.04 confines itself to distribution of royalty AFTER zones are marked for a perticular bandwidth slot.
Draft of the act to create procedure EAS.04
I have drafted the text for "Equal Allowance System over Bandwidth", which if passed by Parliament of India will enable citizens to get equitable royalty over bandwidth. To see the draft, please click here.
Now citizens can ask MPs to pass this Act. But IMO, it will be wiser for citizens to first enact procedure LM.03, and then use LM.03 to pass this EAS.04 draft WITHOUT any help from MPs. To know about procedure LM.03, please click here.
If you have any other question, please mail it to MehtaRahulC@yahoo.com. Thousand thanks in advance.
Next - EAS05 : Equal Allowance System over Coal